The final version will have two circular trackpads with haptic feedback, left and right triggers, left and right shoulder buttons, left and right paddles, various standard buttons, and a configurable touchscreen in the center.
The beta controller is missing the touchscreen, which has been replaced with four configurable buttons.
In my testing, I've had a number of various problems arise with the controller. Usually the problem is related to the trackpads acting strangely, which is usually fixed by simply disconnecting and reconnecting the controller.
The real problem with the controller is that you have to relearn mappings for each game, since there's no easy indication of which button does what. This makes for a frustrating first hour or so for each game while you're still memorizing bindings.
However, once this is done, the controller is really very nice. Currently, the beta is configured to send mouse and keyboard events, so games need to be set to use mouse and keyboard, not gamepad settings. I am unsure of whether or not analog stick emulation is in the works (although that would be awesome for games like Strike Suit Zero).
Outside of games, the controller's right pad is used as a normal trackpad. This works well, and I have no problem navigating through desktop mode using the controller instead of wiring up a mouse.
I've had no trouble playing Strike Suit Zero, Portal, and Metro: Last Night using the Steam controller (after getting used to the various key bindings).
No comments:
Post a Comment