Yesterday I brought the Steam Machine over to a friend's house to let him try it out. What I got instead was a whole new type of audio issue. This time, the audio would start cutting out, seemingly at random.
This new problem, coupled with the old issues I've been having, convinced me that it would be worthwhile to reimage the Steam Machine with the original configuration and see if it was better vanilla.
The process was easy, save for the fact that I had to remove my second drive (because the imaging software is relatively simple, and doesn't give you the ability to select which drive you want to image).
After reentering my login and network information and waiting for some games to download, it was time to play more Half-Life 2 (since HL2 is the game I've been able to break most often).
It worked like a charm on HDMI audio. Smooth, beautiful looking, and no glitches.
I am waiting for TF2 to finish downloading to see if it displays any problems.
Unfortunately, I can't run analog audio without updating to the beta repositories, so I'll still have to go non-vanilla to get a conclusive result. I'm not installing any extra packages, or doing any customization outside of adding the beta repo.
In the meantime, I can keep myself entertained by watching the "You're a bad person for installing Windows" argument that's taking place on the bug reporting site right now. There are Linux zealots, argumentative sysadmins, and a few other zany characters. It's quite a show. It has, for the most part, remained a classy discussion, with no overt insults or any of that nonsense... But the undertones and subtle jabs are really quite good.
No comments:
Post a Comment